What’s the difference between acne scars and acne marks?
Acne marks refer to the discolouration or dark spots from post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Usually, acne marks fade on their own, although it might take a few months or years.
On the other hand, acne scars are the result of texture changes that can be raised or indebted that are permanent without treatment.
Acne scars can impact one’s self-confidence majorly. For some, it can be difficult to look beyond the discolouration and uneven texture caused by acne scars.
But the good news is: that you can get rid of your acne scars with the help of the best acne scars treatment in Kolkata.
What Causes Acne Marks?
Acne marks. Dark spots, Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation are all the same thing.
Acne marks are caused due to inflammation. Anytime the skin is under attack, it sends plenty of white blood cells into the bloodstream. This in turn increases the blood flow to the injured area which turns the skin red.
The culprit here is melanocyte. These are the cells that make melanin, which is the pigment that turns your skin dark.
What Causes Acne Scars?
Acne scars happen when the healing process of the skin goes wrong.
When you pick at your acne lesions, the body stops the bleeding by sealing the damaged blood vessels with platelets. These platelets attach themselves to collagen and secrete healing substances including growth factors.
Once the healing process comes to a halt, the blood vessels relax again, which causes redness. Then the body starts creating new blood vessels and fixing your skin by creating new collagen.
During this whole process, the body releases Matrix Metalloproteases (MMPs). This aid degrades the old collagen and Tissue Inhibitors of Metaloproteases (TIMPs) to keep an eye on them and deactivate them once they have completed their work.
However in the abnormal healing process, MMPs are not balanced by TIMPs, which leaves behind acne scars.
You can anytime get rid of your acne scars easily with the help of professional acne scars treatment in Kolkata.
Types of Treatment For Acne Marks And Acne Scars?
Before you even try fading away your acne marks or scars, your first work is to try and treat acne. Otherwise, you won’t be able to address the actual problem and will be dealing with these side effects forever.
Once you have your acne under control, the next step is to move on to acne scar treatments.
Depending on the type of acne you have ( teenage acne or adult acne), you can choose the following treatments:
- Ablative Lasers: These are more effective than on-ablative lasers but do have some side effects.
- Chemical Reconstruction Of Skin Scars (CROSS): This acne scar treatment uses high concentrations (65%>) of trichloroacetic acid (TCA) to destroy the outer wall of the scar and encourage resurfacing and remodelling.
- IPL Treatment: This treatment doesn’t have a specific wavelength, so it’s not a popular laser. You should always consult with experienced professionals before getting your IPL treatment for acne scars removal.
- Microneedling: Also known as collagen induction therapy, microneedling uses tiny needles to create a controlled trauma to the skin that triggers a healing response, including the production of collagen. This procedure stimulates collagen production, which helps improve atrophic acne scars after as little as 2-3 treatments.
- Non-Ablative Fractional Lasers: This acne scar treatment stimulates collagen remodelling. Along with acne scar removal, they also help fade away dark spots and erythema.
- Radiofrequency Treatments: This type of acne treatment works by heating up the dermis to stimulate the production of collagen and remodel skin texture. Fractional radiofrequency treatments take your acne scar removal treatment a step further and pierce the skin with needles to deliver this heating energy, which gives you the best results.
- Silicones Gels and Sheets: This acne scar treatment helps increase hydration, and reduce collagen production. Additionally, it also protects scarred tissue from bacteria that aids increase the production of collagen in the skin.
- Vascular Laser Treatments: This type of skin treatment uses focused beams of light to stimulate the production of collagen and resurfaces a specific area. It works wonderfully without affecting the surrounding tissue of the skin.
Acne Scar Treatment At Home
Not every acne scar requires professional treatment. But some can be treated at home also. But it requires consistency.
Here are some of the ways to treat acne at home:
- Arbutin: This is an extract from blueberry leaves that turns into hydroquinone in the body. It helps stop melanin production in its tracks.
- Azelaic Acid: This is an acid that is made by the healthy bacteria that live on the skin. It stops the production of melanin and helps reduce skin inflammation.
- Chemical Peels: In this treatment, they use high concentrations of exfoliating hydroxy acids including Glycolic, Lactic, and Salicylic. These acids work together to remove the dead skin cells which reveal the more even-toned skin underneath.
- Niacinamide: It is a form of Vitamin B3 that can treat almost every skin problem. From providing hydration to fighting acne and reducing wrinkles is excellent for the skin. Also, they stop melanin pigment and reduce inflammation.
- Retinol: Like any other Vitamin A, Retinol speeds up cellular turnover – meaning the dull dark cells slough off leaving brighter ones in their wake. Also, it boosts collagen production.
- Hydroquinone: It is the gold standard for treating all kinds of dark spots and pigmentation.
Best Acne Scars Treatment in Kolkata
While acne marks and scars are both caused by inflammation, but they look different and must be treated differently too. And for treating your acne marks effectively, you need the help of licensed dermatologists. If you reside in Kolkata and are looking for the best ways to treat your acne, visit Image Clinic today. They house the most advanced technology for acne treatment in Kolkata. Consult to book your consultation today!